Saturday, March 8, 2008

Last Goodbyes

Hello everybody,

Michael asked me if I would write some words about the funeral for all of you who haven’t had the chance to be there. I wasn’t sure if I were able to do so because it was the worst trip of my life and emotionally very exhausting. I don’t even think this can reflect what I am feeling right now.
However, I hope this helps some of you and maybe it helps me as well to deal with this for me still unbelievable situation.

I flew to Athens on Tuesday afternoon, the day before the funeral. Already on the plane I was barely able to distract myself from the memories of my last trip to Athens and the great moments Klaus and I shared, not only there. Some of you might know that Klaus and I just took a trip to Athens. He was already there to see his family and I flew over to see him after Christmas. That time, he picked me up from the airport with a tiny little red rental car, about which he told me was already the upgraded version. We both were so excited to see each other again. Arriving in Athens this time I knew there would be no Klaus to hold me, kiss me and tell me how much he had missed me when I arrive but somehow I was still hoping. Of course there was no Klaus and I made my way alone to the center to meet his father.

The night before the funeral I was barely able to sleep and wrote a 4-page letter to Klaus that I wanted to give him for his last journey.

We arrived at the church at 11am in the morning. Even though it was mostly overcast in the early morning, the sun made it and was shining for our beloved Klaus. He would have enjoyed this. The white church was decorated with lots of wreaths, which I think were traditional Greek funeral wreaths. More than 100 people, family and friends, came from all over the world to say their last goodbye’s to Klaus. It was overwhelming to see them all and meet more people that Klaus had touched in his very special way.

The ceremony was held in German and Greek. The church was also decorated on the inside with lots of flowers. In front of the altar was Klaus in a shiny wooden coffin and more flowers on top. It was very hard for me to see the coffin there knowing it was his.

After the ceremony we walked with Klaus to the cemetery. To get there you have to walk down a tree-lined street, a little uphill. The cemetery is very small and quite with a lot of trees and bushes. All the graves are decorated with marble and being in Athens the sun will mostly shine.
After they dropped the coffin into the grave everyone was able to say their final goodbyes to Klaus. I was also able to give him my last present, the letter I wrote for him the night before with a bouquet of flowers that I chose to be similar to a bouquet he gave me the first time I came back to see him in New York.

I stayed while most of the others made their way back to the church where, in Greek tradition, the family and friends get together for Greek coffee and cognac.
Raschad, Zaid, Paolo and Philip waited for me to walk me back to the church. Halfway there I saw a kiosk. During our Athens trip Klaus and I used to stop on the street with warning lights turned on (apparently the Greek way of doing this) to get some sweets and drinks from a kiosk. That time he also introduced me to his favorite Greek chocolate bar “sokofreta”.
Seeing the kiosk I had to go there to get sokofreta in Klaus’ memory and honor. The others went with me and we bought all sokofretas that were left and ate them walking back to the church. I know that Klaus was happily laughing seeing us.
On our trip he took a picture of me eating sokofreta with the comment “ Die Suess isst was Suesse” (The sweetie eats something sweet) and was so happy that I also enjoyed eating sokofreta as much as he did!
It felt great to do something he enjoyed that is so connected to the moments we shared especially on this day. For a moment it felt like the happiness and joy of doing something very special just for him swiped away the sadness and grief. I know he would have loved seeing us there eating his sokofreta for him. I almost saw him with a big smile on his face.

After the funeral his father organized a lunch for his closest family and friends. It was lovely to share memories of Klaus with the people that love him and not to be alone in a time like this.

I miss you so much, my love!
Alexandra

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Alex,

Thank you for this beautiful description. Indeed it made the pain nearly vanish for a moment, seeing so many people at the funeral, all there to honour this great son, brother, lover, friend, artist, etc etc. that Klaus was.

It was hard to visit Athens for the first time, and do it without Klaus, who had described to me so many corners of his city, told me so many stories that happened here....

I am certain that Klaus smiled down at all those people who were there just for him. One of his favourite expressions, was that something was done with "so much love" .....

Well, Klausi, you must have felt all the love that was there for you on this sunny sad day in Athens!

Your Raschad

Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you very much for taking the time and emotional energy to let us know how it was.

-cousin Franz, Harrisburg PA
franz -at- niedermeyer.org

Anonymous said...

Hello Alex,

Thank you so much for the courage and strength it took to write all of this for us. I appreciate every word, and I know others will as well. Together we can make some of the burdens easier to bear, some of the sorrows a bit softer, some of the pain less sharp. In each moment we can grow a bit stronger again, and learn to celebrate life as much as Klaus always did.

Your friend, Uncle Steve

Anonymous said...

alex, thank you.

hope to see you in may.

tanja

Anonymous said...

alex, thank you.

hope to see you in may.

tanja

Anonymous said...

Hallo Alex,

Danke ! Thank You !

I was at school in Athens with Klaus back in the 80's. We were just in the process of organising a reunion for August this year and Klaus had send me a few mails and was really looking forward to this day.

All of his schoolfriends - now all over the planet - were deeply shocked and saddened by his sudden death.

All who knew him will always remember his truely happy nature and he will be missed always.

Two of his schoolfriends who still lived in Athens made it to the funeral and laid down some flowers and wreaths on behalf of all of his friends from the DSA, because we were all looking forward meeting the Klaus we treasured and remembered.

Klaus - see you when I get there !

Trash (G Maragkakis)