Sunday, February 17, 2008

As if just by chance...

Dear Friends,

So, here it was, shortly after 09.11.01... In my heart I was lusting after the new Kawasaki ZRX-1200, to replace my beautiful ZR-1100 Zephyr. Being strapped for cash, I had borrowed some money from Cousin Paul to buy a nice used ZRX-1200 from another friend. I had come to the decision to sell the ZR-1100, since the two bikes were so similar (thought it broke my heart to do so). I placed a few half hearted ads, hoping to put off the sale a bit longer so I could enjoy having two great bikes in the garage. And then I received the call from Klaus. From the very first conversation, I knew that here was another fellow that LOVED motorcycles as much as I did. It's just one of those feelings you have when you meet someone... I am sure you have all felt it at some point (perhaps about music, a certain dish, almost anything really), the "click" of mutual understanding and shared experiences.

I explained to Klaus that I could meet him in Manhattan if he wanted, to show him the bike. We chatted some more, and then made arrangements to meet one night later in the week. Of course, Klaus could not contain himself or his excitement over the bike. He called me the very next day to see if I was free to come down. Understanding the urgency, I cancelled my plans after work and went down to 50th, between 1st and 2nd, where Anthony used to have his apartment, and where I spent quite a bit of time. I gave her a quick wipe down with Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish (which Klaus was delighted to discover), and she was gleaming. Klaus arrived as promised, just as it started to drizzle a light rain. This was also Anthony's first meeting with Klaus, as he arrived home from work while we chatted outside.

Sometimes, that "click" occurs twice... And you find yourself standing the the misty rain for nearly two hours discussing bikes, riding, and adventures with this amazing person you have just met. While he did not immediately commit to purchasing the ZR-1100 that evening, the next day Klaus called to ask me if I would be willing to negotiate on the price slightly, and then told me we had a deal. More discussions were had regarding the exchange (when, where, etc), and what he needed to do to transfer the ownership to his name, the insurance, the registration, etc. Here I am a little hazy, but I think he still had not gotten a NY license, and when he called the insurance company I believe they told him they required a NY license. This of course was an unforeseen wrench in the works for dear Klaus. So he hurriedly found a NY testing facility in Manhattan, and within two weeks or so, I think he had his license sorted out... The rest of the paper work would fall in to place shortly thereafter.

I believe we must have had a few days of nice weather, so Klaus and I arranged for a test ride. It was a gorgeous Sunday afternoon, and before Klaus arrived, I took my friend Sylvie on a ride around Westchester and into Greenwich. We stopped at a nice place that served crepes for lunch, and then headed home to my uncle's house to meet Klaus. I can't recall how he arrived there in Scarsdale really. On the way home though, Sylvie and I were rear-ended on the new ZRX-1200, at a stop sign in Greenwich, by a bozo in a bright red BMW. Luckily neither one of us were hurt, but the tail lights on the ZRX were smashed. The typical "I didn't see you" comment from the driver caused me to nearly strangle him through the window (drive through service). So, there was no way I could ride with Klaus until I had time to check out the bike and make sure it was safe. This caused him great concern, both for the bike and for the two of us.

This became the opportunity for Cousin Paul to meet Klaus... Paul came up from Manhattan (perhaps he was planning to already, I can't recall), and I sent the two of them off together for a ride (Paul on his BMW and Klaus in the ZR-1100). Of course, they had a great time, and it was the beginning of yet another great friendship for Klaus and my cousin. Paul and I together would show Klaus some of the great local roads north of Manhattan (in the years that followed), some of the roads that he really loved. Like Route 22 from the Kensico Dam up to 684. "Ahhh, did you see the bike as I went through those BEEENNNNNDDDDDSSSS, it was FANTASTIC!" These were big sweepers, good pavement, and lots of sight down the road. Perfect for the ZR-1100.

The actual day we made the exchange of the papers and money for the bike, Klaus and I sat down at a table outside (I wish I could remember where), and had a nice dinner together. Both of us staring at the lovely Zephyr, which he would later rename Princess Zephyria in his unique way. Klaus of course, had never had a bike here in NY, and did not know any of the nice roads or destinations, and was very concerned about finding places to ride. So I promised to take him on regular Sunday morning rides to Route 301 from Carmel to Cold Spring, or to the Wandering Moose Cafe in Cornwall Bridge CT, with Cousin Paul and other friends.

More stories to come...

---

I really can't express how frustrating this week has been for me. I so desperately wanted to be with all of you on Friday night, to pay homage and tribute to Klaus. Unfortunately, my company is participating in the biggest trade show/convention of the year, this weekend in Indianapolis, and my boss (though hoping to find a compromise) said that I really needed to be with them at the show (at least Thursday to Saturday). I don't think I have done a good enough job explaining to him how important Klaus was to me, and how little I cared to be at the show. One thing I cannot express is just how my perceptions of feelings has changed or shifted, and how little I felt like arguing with my boss. I think perhaps the lack of sleep has caught up to me. Perhaps if he had known Klaus a bit, he might have had more compassion. Anyhow, I hope that you will forgive me for not being there with you physically, but know that I was there in spirit.

I would like to organize a regular gathering for all of us. I know my cousin has said this as well. Klaus would revel in the ability to bring us together. So... Please email me (steve.ionescu@gmail.com) and let me know your thoughts (places to go, times, dates, etc) and I will try to accommodate as many at the same time as possible. We might not all be able to get together each time, but that is ok. One thing that I think would be nice in the spring would be a picnic up on top of Bear Mt, where Klaus really loved to go for his rides. If someone else is already working on this, please let me know...

Also, this blog has grown and really looks great. The pictures and drawings are really nice (thanks for posting those for me Tanja). Lets make sure to share this with as many people as we can!

Ok, my love to you all...
Steve "The Uncle"
“One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: that word is love.” - Sophocles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

we are planing to have a gathering soon...and will make sure to let everyone know when and where.
Bear Mt sounds like a great gathering when spring comes.

Jelena

Unknown said...

Hi Jelena,

please let me know and we can coordinate something perhaps...

Steve