Thursday, February 14, 2008

from lauren

Klaus had this way of saying my name that I loved. He never just said it outright – he would draw out the syllables as if savoring it, the way another person might hold a sip of wine or bit of chocolate on the palette a little longer than necessary, just for the pure enjoyment. But of course Klaus savored many things in life. That hunger of his – for experience, knowledge, passion – was evident in everything he said and did. The last time I spent with Klaus, we took a ride on the Big Fish around the bend of lower Manhattan and had ham sandwiches in Battery Park. With someone else, the day may have been nothing special. With Klaus, it really was fantastic.

Klaus popped in and out of my life in my last two years in New York, and though we spent precious little time together, his friendship affected me deeply. Just the thought of his hello at the door would make me smile. I hear his voice so clearly in my head … and I pray it remains that way so as to keep his memory close. I wish I could be there with all of you to grieve his loss, this hurts so much. Thanks to those who put together this wonderful blog.

No comments: