Friday, February 15, 2008

Smiley Faces on Chocolate Cakes


Klaus,

I only knew you for a few weeks, but you made a tremendous impression.

As the “new guy” in the office, you made me feel welcomed immediately, and extended your friendship.

When I told you my wife and I live in Chappaqua you spoke of the joy you found riding the back roads of Westchester on your bike.

You asked me if I played guitar, and after finding out I did you told me that I “had to come” to your birthday party, and that you “make everyone listen to you play”. You invited me to stay for one hour, once a week to jam in the office. You only knew me a few days.

You startled me, and then had me laughing hysterically when you and Michael decided to take this snap shot on the balcony outside of our office. I’m happy I decided to take this shot with my phone, and now I can share this with your friends and family.

When we went to lunch you showed us your love of life by getting as excited as a little boy about your chocolate cake at Cipriani’s. As they were serving dessert you made us all laugh to see that you had actually carved a smiley face in your cake before you ate it. You were laughing and joking and saying you and Michael are “Hans and Frans”

Klaus, you obviously savored life the way you savored that cake. You were breath of fresh air, a beam of light. I only knew you a few weeks, but I’m a better person for having known you.


Rest in peace.

Chris Dessi

No comments: