Sunday, February 10, 2008

My student and friend Klaus

It so rare when someone so amazing comes into our lives and makes such an impact that even just the threat of losing it can complete devastate. Such is the case with Klaus. As most of my close students know, my "kung fu family" is an extension of my real family. I find myself trying to be the best Si-fu I can to my own students and it seemed that Klaus helped bring that out in me.

We would often go out and have discussions about the kind of things that men discussed - women, vehicles and martial arts of course. Whenever the discussion turned to martial arts philosophy, I found Klaus hanging on my every word, really taking to heart the things I was telling him. Whenever he would tell his amazing tales of travel or music or whatever, I be hanging on his every word, as if I was trying to live vicariously through him. Who else could tell such amazing tales like his short stint in the Austrian army, singing a revenge song on stage in front of an ex-girlfriend or simply finding a use for his newly coined word "ridiculation"? Klaus captured my attention in a way few ever could. He seemed to admire my devotion to my craft as much as I admired his social mastery and carefree way. But it was funny, I know Klaus felt that I was some sort of superman - but if he only knew how devastated I was this week he would see I am no superman. I never took any news harder than I did of Klaus' accident. I never cried this much since the death of my dear aunt, who was like a mother to me.

So all I can say is "Klaus, get better for you poor Si-fu!" I can't take much more of this drama! It's time for you to get better so we can continue making fun of germans in German again. Who else understands why saying "Schnauze" or "Danke Schitt" is so damn funny? Who else is going to laugh so hard like the night with Kenan in your apartment watching YouTube videos?

I feel blessed to have you in my life Klaus. I'm only superman to you...

Si-fu (Alex Richter)

1 comment:

friends said...

Great thing about Klaus is that he is a great listener.
He takes every word you speak when he talkes to you. And he always makes great analogys - no metter what you might be talking about.