Friday, February 15, 2008

Wish You Were Here

Klaus,

I was at a dinner gathering last night when I overheard somebody mentioning a motorcycle accident. The more I heared about the rider the more I had this stinking suspicion. I asked if he knew the rider's name, and he said it was you. It was such a shock that I did not really believe it. I just got a new phone so I did not have your number with me, I went home and called you, I wish you would pick up, and I heard your voicemail, I left you a message, I wished it was a mix up and you would call me back right away like the time when I emailed you to tell you I just got another ticket (it's funny, I'm actually going to court for that ticket this afternoon)... I called your office this morning, and it was true, and it was you...

It does not make sense, you are one of the best riders I know. You don't know how many times I wished I could ride like you do. Last night on my way home, I took FDR, on 14th st. heading north, I took the right hand lane like you always do. Actually, every time I pass that section I have this image of following you through that corner and watching in awe how much you were leaned over and how beautifully it's done...

Thanks to Gmail, I was able to dig up a few email correspondences we had over the years, they seem like yesterday... within them, email about your last birthday party, another moment that is tattooed in my mind: I showed up late as always, everybody else has already left, I brought a few friends so there're the five of us. You sat down and started playing a few songs. It was so nice, I was amazed at how talented you are. We sat there listened, we joined in on a few songs, we even danced (well, you were playing, me and the girls danced)... it was one of the best show I have ever been to. And I think you played Wish You Were Here. And I wish you were still here with us now...

RIP.

jc

No comments: